Dr. Deming’s original, breakthrough leadership and quality innovations that transformed Japan starting in 1950 and that continue to transform the world
By Clare Crawford-Mason
QUALITY COSTS LESS THAN QUANTITY AND DELIVERS GREATER QUANTITY $$$/RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)
- Quality costs less than Quantity and actually delivers more $$$, loyalty, customers, etc. – this was/is 180 degrees from the prevailing thought.
ONE WHOLE SYSTEM CONCEPT – A BUSINESS IS ONE SYSTEM, MANY PROCESSES
- Expand the system to include suppliers.
- Expand the system to include ALL customers – Internal AND External.
CONTINUOUS CUSTOMER FEEDBACK LOOP
- Set up a continuous loop of customer feedback to improve processes, products and services output (was “just meet specs only” before Deming)
CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE YOUR PROCESSES AND SYSTEMS
- Continuously improve systems of manufacturing/delivery of your product and/or service.
CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE YOUR PEOPLE
- Continuously support and improve your people and communications.
7. Make decisions based on Data – NOT on assumptions. CRUCIAL point.
Clare Crawford Mason was a founding editor of People Magazine and former senior NBC News Producer who reintroduced Dr. Deming to the West on the NBC News program “If Japan Can, Why Can’t We?” in 1980. For more information on Dr. Deming and Clare’s continuing work, including the 32 volume Deming Wisdom Video Library, go to www.ManagementWisdom.com